Yesterday, I attended the AT&T Developer Summit at the Palms Hotel in Las Vegas. It was one of the best mobile developer events I’ve attended in recent memory, not the least because AT&T shared some of it’s best announcements with mobile developers first…
The highlights for me include AT&T’s announcement of many new phones in 2010 including AT&T’s first Android phones from Motorola (one of my former clients) featuring Motorla’s latest syncing software, MOTOBLUR), Dell and HTC. AT&T also announced its first Web OS phone from Palm, Inc. (also one of my former clients).
AT&T promised several positive changesto AT&T’s developer program including improved conversations with and support of developers via live chat and phone. They also announced through a partnership between AT&T, Orange and America Movil, which will help streamline the app submission process for developers on all three operators’ networks.
Here you can see AT&T’s Ralph de La Vega talking about AT&T’s strategy for 2010. Among the strategic announcements was a new focus on mid-tier mobile devices that make messaging easier. AT&T is classing these devices as QMDs – Quick Messaging Devices.
There was a lot of talk on behalf of AT&T about its network enhancements and, unsurprisingly, very little conversation about consumer complaints about calls dropping. One of the biggest surprises of all is that AT&T didn’t talk much about the iPhone or its partnership with Apple (who, along with Palm was MIA from the stage).
However the highlight of the show was that everyone who attended the 4:50 presentation from Motorola won a Motorola Backflip phone (to be mailed at a future date).
Below, are my tweets from the AT&T Developer Summit… From most recent to oldest in descending order):
- I won a Samsung Jack at the #attsevsummit! about 18 hours ago from dabr
- Any questions you would like me to ask the AT&T exec panel? #attdevsummit about 18 hours ago from dabr
- RT @mobilejam: Partnership announced between ATT, Orange and America Movil to collaborate for developers #attdevsummit #ces about 20 hours ago from dabr
- Beta access to AT&T Location APIs coming soon #attdevsummit about 20 hours ago from dabr
- Developer.att.com/widgetbeta- AT&T looking for 50 innovative developers for the beta #attdevsummit about 20 hours ago from dabr
- @norcalbarney Ouch! Why’s that? about 21 hours ago from dabr in reply to norcalbarney
- @djksar They do have 1 – just wasn’t vocalized at the event. #attdevsummit (long one, but hey) about 21 hours ago from dabr in reply to djksar
- RT @DJHunt: Wow. 6732% growth in wireless data usage over last 13 quarters. #attdevsummit about 23 hours ago from dabr
- If ur curious about #attdevsummit, also check out #attds, where several of my tweeps were talking before we figured out the right hashtag. about 23 hours ago from dabr
- I hear from @wipjam that there IS an ‘official’ hashtag for att dev summit: #attdevsummit. I’ll be using that over #attds from now on. about 23 hours ago from dabr
- RT @sloanb: @JGallo02 That is great news… now work out some deals to get us some great gadgets on the carriers. about 23 hours ago from dabr
- So far AT&T Developer Summit has included a lot more meaty announcements & good news 4 Devs than other mobile confs I’ve attended #attds about 23 hours ago from dabr
- .@nokiaconv @JGallo02 Great news! AT&T hasn’t announced that (yet) at their dev summit in Vegas #attds about 23 hours ago from dabr in reply to JGallo02
- 70/30% rev share will be AT&T’s standard for apps cross platform. #attds about 23 hours ago from dabr
- God news- AT&T is launching AppCenter & standardizing rev share 4 developers cross-platform. #attds about 23 hours ago from dabr
- Another amusing moment at #attds: At&t is going to extend their dev outreach to Twitter but they didn’t provide a hashtag for this event. about 23 hours ago from dabr
- AT&T rolling out new SDK (BREW), cross-platform support & storefront strategy. #attds about 23 hours ago from dabr
AT&T improving dev program, reducing time to market. Leveraging new Microsoft relationship 4 better tools. #attds about 23 hours ago from dabr
- ATT.com/edo = new AT&T site focused on emerging devices #attds about 24 hours ago from dabr
- AT&T says big opportunity with three screens and IPTV and emerging devices. #attds about 24 hours ago from dabr
- AT&T says they’ll have a new focus on midrange devices. Launching a BREW sdk. Samsung first to build BREW phone in this category. #attds about 24 hours ago from dabr
- Funny- AT&T used the PalmOS logo on a slide when talking about @Palm Inc’s Web OS. Oops. #attds about 24 hours ago from dabr
- Why isn’t Palm up on stage at #attds? @Motorola and htc were both on stage talking about their forthcoming at&t devices. about 24 hours ago from dabr
- @wirelessbuzz just started #attds about 24 hours ago from dabr in reply to wirelessbuzz
- At&t will also unveil HTC Android and @palm webos phone(s) later this year #attds about 24 hours ago from MOTOBLUR
- At&t is also launching a new dell device. about 24 hours ago from MOTOBLUR
AT&T is launching a new Motorola device featuring Motoblur. Moto giving away some devices at 2pm at #attds about 24 hours ago from MOTOBLUR